Tips to Keep Yourself Safe While Walking Alone
Whether you are returning to your car after a shopping trip or you need to run to the pharmacy down the block, you may find yourself walking alone. Usually, you can complete your errands without any problems. However, walking alone can sometimes present challenges you may not be exposed to if you walk with someone else or in a group.
Depending on where you are walking, you may need to be even more cautious when you are out alone. This is especially true if you are in a neighborhood you are not familiar with or if you are walking at night. Regardless of your circumstances, there are many ways you can keep yourself safe when you walk alone. Below are some tips to help keep you safe when you are out by yourself.
Tell Someone Where You Are Going
If you plan to be walking by yourself, tell someone where you are going. Even though your loved one will not be with you while you are out, informing someone of your plans is a good preventative safety measure. Your roommates and family members can be good points of contact for the police department if complications arise while you are on your own.
There are many different ways you can let someone know your location. Here are some methods you can use:
- Notify your friend or family member about where you plan on going before you leave the house. You should tell someone you trust where you are going and how long you expect to be out for. In the event of an emergency, someone knows when to expect you home and where you went.
- Share your location by app. If you plan on using a shared ride service, you can share your location with someone in your contact list. Likewise, you can also share your location through different messaging platforms when you are out by yourself.
- Let hotel employees know where you are going. If you are traveling and don’t have any personal contacts in the city you are visiting, you can let hotel receptionists know where you are going. You can also ask them to contact you at a specific time to check in and make sure you returned safely.
Wear Comfortable Shoes
Having comfortable footwear is one of the best defenses you can have when walking alone. On a practical note, you will be more likely to outrun an aggressor if you are wearing sneakers instead of sandals or heels. In terms of prevention, tennis shoes may also make you less of a target for pickpockets. This is because you are more likely to get away from conflict if you are wearing shoes you can move quickly in.
Carry Personal Protection
Usually, you will not encounter any problems when you are walking alone. However, there may be an instance when you need to defend yourself. If someone approaches you, it is important that you know how to defend yourself. For these reasons, you should always walk with one of the following personal protection devices:
- Pepper spray
- Personal alarm
Be Aware of Your Surroundings
When you are out walking by yourself, it is important that you are aware of your surroundings. One of the most effective ways to keep yourself safe is by staying vigilant before an incident occurs. Some strategies for remaining alert while you are walking include:
- Putting away your phone. Phones are distractions, and if you are reading a text message, you may not see someone approach you.
- Observing the people around you. If you pay attention to the people around you, you may be able to detect suspicious behavior before anything happens to you.
- Familiarizing yourself with your destination beforehand. If you do not know where you are going, you are more likely to be distracted.